What are OER - Open Educational Resources?
Open Educational Resources (OER) are teaching, learning, and research resources that are free of cost and access barriers, and which can be fully used, shared and adapted in the digital environment.
What are OER? Why use OER? Where is OER? How is OER created? Who can help?
OER in Psychology
Open Educational Resources in Psychology
OER books come from many sources. Some are developed by the author specifically to teach a course, some are new textbooks from a commercial publisher, some are older textbooks where the copyright has reverted to the author. Below are some examples of the variety of OER books you can find.
- Psychology 2eThis open textbook is designed to meet scope and sequence requirements for the single-semester introduction to psychology course. The book offers a comprehensive treatment of core concepts, grounded in both classic studies and current and emerging research. The text also includes coverage of the DSM-5 in examinations of psychological disorders. Psychology incorporates discussions that reflect the diversity within the discipline, as well as the diversity of cultures and communities across the globe.
- The Psychology of Magic and the Magic of PsychologyMagicians have dazzled audiences for many centuries; however, few researchers have studied how, let alone why, most tricks work. The psychology of magic is a nascent field of research that examines the underlying mechanisms that conjurers use to achieve enchanting phenomena, including sensory illusions, misdirection of attention, and the appearance of mind-control and nuanced persuasion. In this research topic we sketch out the symbiotic relationship between psychological science and the art of magic.
- Contemporary Perspective on Child Psychology and EducationIn contemporary understanding, the working areas of children's psychology are expanding considerably. The mental health of the children ensures that they are able to use their developmental abilities, cope with difficulties in life, be productive and be creative, and demonstrate cognitive, emotional, and behavioral characteristics appropriate to their developmental turn. This book presents an overview of the approaches in the departments of child education and psychology, with the hope of them growing up as happy, peaceful, balanced, thoughtful confident and successful individuals.
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Organizational Psychology: Quid Pro QuoA focus on stakeholder well-being has long been integral to CSR scholarship. Only recently, however, have researchers devoted sustained attention to understanding how employees — both current and prospective — perceive, engage in, and react to CSR initiatives directed at themselves and other stakeholders external to the firm.
OER Search Engines & Finding Aids
- DOAB : Directory of Open Access BooksAll books listed in DOAB are freely accessible and therefore free to read, but this does not mean readers are free to do anything they like with these books. The usage rights of the books in DOAB are determined by the license.
- Mason OER Metafinder (James Mason University)The Mason OER Metafinder helps you find Open Educational Resources. Unlike other OER discovery sites (e.g, OER Commons, OASIS, MERLOT, OpenStax, etc.), OER Metafinder is not a single database. Instead it is a federated search across 21 different sources of open educational materials.
- OER CommonsOER Commons is a public digital library of open educational resources. Explore, create, and collaborate with educators around the world to improve curriculum.
Open Access Books at Commercial Publishers
- JSTOR Open ContentThousands of Open Access ebooks are available from top scholarly publishers, including Brill, Cornell University Press, De Gruyter, and University of California Press.
- The National Academies Press (NAP)The NAP publishes more than 200 books a year on a wide range of topics in science, engineering, and medicine, providing authoritative, independently-researched information. Almost all of the books are available as PDFs that can be downloaded for free by the chapter or by the entire book.
- Springer Open AccessSpringer offers authors the option to publish open access books in a wide range of areas in science, technology, medicine and in the humanities and social sciences. Their books are available to download free of charge from SpringerLink (HTML, PDF, ePub) or Amazon (MOBI).
- Taylor & Francis Open Access Books & ChaptersTaylor & Francis publish books and chapters across all subjects covered by Routledge, CRC Press and other imprints in the humanities, social sciences and behavioral sciences. Currently, over 1000 books are published open access.