What is Zotero?
This guide will introduce you to Zotero and how to use it for your research!
Zotero is the Library's recommended citation management tool. Zotero is a free, easy-to-use citation management application to help you collect, organize, cite, and also share research with a group for a collaborative project.
There is a web-based version of Zotero as well as a desktop version that you can install on your device.
Both the web and desktop versions must be installed and synced with each other for full functionality.
- Using a Le Moyne PC? Look for Zotero in AJ Apps on your Desktop
Zotero also offers ZoteroBib, which helps you build a bibliography instantly from any computer or device, without creating an account or installing any software.
Start using Zotero!
To start using Zotero, follow these steps:
- Quit/Close Microsoft Word (if it's open)
- Go to www.zotero.org and click the red button
- Download Zotero for Mac or Windows (won't install on a Chromebook)
- Install the Connector for Chrome, Firefox, or Safari
- Register for your online account at www.zotero.org by clicking the blue "register" button in the top right corner
- Start Zotero on your desktop
- Link your online account:
Mac: Zotero -- Preferences -- Sync
PC: Edit -- Preferences -- Sync
- Open Microsoft Word or Google Docs and check for the Zotero tab - this should have installed automatically (If it didn't, you can go to Zotero -- Preferences -- Cite -- Word Processors -- Install Microsoft Word Add-in)
(Adapted from the University of Washington)
Tips for Zotero Installation and Functionality
Zotero is compatible with all operating systems including Windows, Mac and Linux - See system requirement information.
Zotero creates bibliographies from your citation Library in a variety of ways!
- Within your Zotero Library, Select citations, chose Create Bibliography, then select your citation style e.g. APA.
- Word processor integration plug-ins (available for Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs) create a dynamic bibliography!
- The word processor plug-ins are bundled with Zotero and should be installed automatically for each supported word processor on your computer when you first start Zotero.
- Insert a new in-text citation in your manuscript, and the bibliography will be automatically updated to include the cited item.
- Correct the title of an item in your Zotero library and with a click of a button the change will be incorporated in your documents.