Encyclopedias and Handbooks
4 reasons to consult a handbook or specialized encyclopedia:
- Start with a review of the history of the top research before you search for the newer work that builds on it.
- You will quickly get a overview of the essential arguments in order to decide upon the topic or to reject it.
- You will be more effective in searching for scholarly journal articles with your mind wrapped around the content and terms.
- You will avoid the error of omission of failing to cite the key scholars on the topic.
The three titles below are in our print collection.
- Analyzing Gender: A Handbook of Social Science Research HQ 1154 .A685 1987
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences REF H 40 .A2 I5 2008
- Sage Handbook of Sociology HM 586 .S24 2005
E-books are linked below!