Best Bets for Sociology
What are Scholarly Articles?
Here are some common characteristics of scholarly journal articles:
- Article appears in a peer reviewed journal (filter your search results for "peer reviewed")
- Author is an expert in the field. The author's credentials in the field are established, and they are likely affiliated with a scholarly institution and hold an appropriate degree in their field.
- There is a lengthy bibliography at the end of the article.
- Based on original research, or new applications of others' research
- Written for a scholarly audience in that field of study (difficult for others to read)
Scholarly article example: