What Topics Can Librarian Instruction Cover?
These are some of the topics that a Library instruction session or guide/tutorial can be focused on. Please feel free to consult your subject librarian if you have a topic that is not on this list that you are interested in having your students learn about.
Basic Overview of the Library:
- Introducing what the Library has to offer students
- Explaining how the College Library differs from high school and public libraries
- Helping students identify the useful library resources for their particular major
- Introducing the idea that research is a process (and scholarship is a conversation)
- Developing a research question/statement
- Identifying an information need
- Identifying the most effective tools to use for a particular subject and assignment
- Creating an effective search strategy
- Using these tools to become more efficient and effective searchers
- Identifying the type of source needed
- Identifying the type of source found
- Evaluating whether a source is useful and appropriate for an assignment?
- Using appropriate citation style to cite sources
- Understanding academic integrity concepts, and why it is important to cite sources
- Effectively using Mendeley, the subscription citation manager