Search strategy tips
- Brainstorm search terms, enter in Strategy Builder in the box below.
- Experiment with subject headings in CINAHL and PubMed (see search tips and tutorials below).
- Wherever you search, take advantage of the databases' limit-setting features (e.g. peer-reviewed, date).
- When you have some good choices, pay attention to the features below for more searching ideas:
Subject Category References Cited by
Search Strategy Builder
The Search Strategy Builder is a tool designed to teach you how to create a search string using Boolean logic. While it is not a database and is not designed to input a search, you should be able to cut and paste the results into most databases’ search boxes.
Now copy and paste the above Search Strategy into a database search box.
The Search Strategy Builder was developed by the University of Arizona Libraries(CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 US).
CINAHL (Cumulative Index of Nursing and Allied Health Literature)
Where should I start? Spotlight on PubMed
PubMed is a great database to begin your searches.
- Be sure to use the Le Moyne PubMed link so that you can connect to full text articles from your search results!
- Create a free myNCBI account to save your search strategies and preferred results.
The short tutorials below are a great way to learn PubMed basics!