Vendor Usage Reports
This guide focuses on usage statistics produced by vendors of electronic resources. It, therefore, excludes statistics that are generated by systems hosted in-house -- e.g., Millennium reports Opens in new window such as WAM (proxy), catalog searches, Inn-Reach, etc., as well as circulation, gate counts, head counts, etc. LibGuides and Google Analytics will be treated in separate guides.
- COUNTER reports are located:
M:\Library\Common\Statistics\Electronic Resources\COUNTER usage statistics
- Non-COUNTER reports are located:
Aggregate Usage Reports
We've been aggregating vendor reports into annual reports.
- JR1 Aggregate Data – M:\Library\Common\Statistics\Electronic Resources\Reports\JR1 Aggregate Data
- Combines individual title reports from across all the vendors to give full picture of usage for a given title.
- Usage Summaries – M:\Library\Common\Statistics\Electronic Resources\Reports\Usage Summaries
- Combines yearly summary statistics for searches and full-text usage across all platforms and all formats.
- Includes both COUNTER and non-COUNTER statistics, the latter normalized as best as possible.
- Full-text reports, such as JR1, BR2, etc., only include the annual summary for the platform, rather than usage at the individual title level.
- Book Usage Aggregate – M:\Library\Common\Statistics\Electronic Resources\Reports\Usage Summaries\Book Usage Aggregate
- Pull BR1 and BR2, as well as some non-COUNTER usage data from the "Usage Summary" reports and aggregates that into a multi-year report.
COUNTER Report Types
- Journal Report 1 (JR1) – Number of Successful Full-Text Article Requests by Month and Journal (Standard)
- JR1-GOA – Number of Successful Gold Open Access Full-Text Article Requests by Month and Journal (Standard)
- JR1a – Number of Successful Full-Text Article Requests from an Archive by Month and Journal (Optional)
- Journal Report 2 (JR2) – Access Denied to Full-Text Articles by Month, Journal and Category (Standard)
- Journal Report 3 (JR3) – Number of Successful Item Requests by Month, Journal and Page-type (Optional)
- Journal Report 4 (JR4) – Total Searches Run By Month and Collection (Optional)
- Journal Report 5 (JR5) – Number of Successful Full-Text Article Requests by Yearof-Publication (YOP) and Journal (Standard)
- Book Report 1 (BR1) – Number of Successful Title Requests by Month and Title (Standard)
- Book Report 2 (BR2) – Number of Successful Section Requests by Month and Title (Standard)
- Clarification from COUNTER: BR1 was designed for books that can ONLY be downloaded as a single PDF file (usually older titles that have been scanned or captured in this way). All other titles should be covered in BR2.
- As an example, if a book has 10 chapters that can be downloaded individually and the user CHOOSES to download them as a full set, then 10 uses should be recorded in BR2.
- Book Report 3 (BR3) – Access Denied to Content Items by Month, Title and Category (Standard)
- Book Report 4 (BR4) – Access Denied to Content items by Month, Platform and Category (Standard)
- Book Report 5 (BR5) – Total Searches by Month and Title (Standard)
- Platform Report 1 (PR1)– Total Searches, Result Clicks and Record Views by Month and Platform (Standard)
- PR1 generally replaces JR4, BR5, and DB3.
- Database Report 1 (DB1) – Total Searches, Result Clicks and Record Views by Month and Database (Standard)
- Database Report 2 (DB2) – Access Denied by Month, Database and Category (Standard)
- Database Report 3 (DB3) – Total Searches and Sessions by Month and Service (Deprecated, R3)
- Multimedia Report 1 (MR1) – Number of Successful Full Multimedia Content Unit Requests by Month and Collection (Standard)
- Multimedia Report 2 (MR2) – Number of Successful Full Multimedia Content Unit Requests by Month, Collection and Item Type (Optional)